Skip to main content
The following comments relate to the South West Region, on the assumption that it is decided to keep the division of the region into the sub-regions set out in the Initial Proposals. I will be submitting a separate counter-proposal which is based on different groupings of counties and unitary authorities.
1. In Gloucestershire, the two Churchdown wards in the Borough of Tewkesbury are in different constituencies. To rectify this, I propose that the the ward of Churchdown St John's is included in the constituency of The Cotswolds, with the the wards of Isbourne and Winchcombe being retained in Tewkesbury. The Borough of Gloucester ward of Barnwood would then need to be retained in the Gloucester constituency, rather than being transferred to Tewkesbury.
2. In Wiltshire, there is no connection between the Borough of Swindon ward of Wroughton and Wichelstowe and the rest of the proposed constituency of East Wiltshire. It has much closer links to the town of Royal Wootton Bassett and I therefore propose that it is included in the Chippenham constituency. Ensuring that the electorates of constituencies in Wiltshire are all within the permitted range requires the following knock-on ward movements:
- Bromham, Rowde & Roundway from Chippenham to Melksham and Devizes;
- Helperton from Melksham and Devizes to Trowbridge and Warminster;
- Nadder Valley from Trowbridge and Warminster to Salisbury; and
- Winterslow & Upper Bourne Valley from Salisbury to East Wiltshire.
3. The proposed constituency of Frome includes the orphan District of South Somerset ward of Bruton. To avoid this, I propose that this ward is included in Glastonbury and Somerton in exchange for the District of Mendip ward of The Pennards and Ditcheat.
Type of respondent
Member of the public